I Can Only Imagine


For the past 7 months I've been so focused on, first of all, keeping myself alive and overcoming the bad cells. Then worrying about the whole process of dying. Then keeping myself comfortable against the pain. Planning my memorial service and helping with decisions on final arrangements, etc. Then thinking about the moment I cross over and see my parents and sister and other loved ones who have gone before as they welcome and guide me. (Perhaps I will see and communicate with them before I cross over. Awesome!)

But my thoughts hadn't quite gotten to what I think comes after that. That would hopefully be meeting the Savior himself. What will that be like? Will I recognize him? What will we say to each other? What will we do? I think I will recognize him. In fact, I think all of us will be surprised when we get back to the other side and see His face and realize how familiar He is. Since we all knew Him before we came to Earth, it only makes sense that when we get back again to the other side of the veil of forgetfulness we will know Him. I may gasp, then laugh, then cry at the depth of . . . everything. I mean . . . The SAVIOR of the world . . . and what He so willingly suffered to save me if I would only repent and try to be better. Now, as I'm more acquainted with physical pain, my compassion for His experience in Gethsemane and on the cross have deepened. He is the only being, besides God the Fatber, who knows and understands every possible thing about me. My personality, my struggles, accomplishments, my experiences. I will never be able to show enough gratitude for the magnificent blessings I have enjoyed my whole life, even though I've already been trying to do so for decades. But He will know, feel and completely comprehend my feelings about everything. There, in the Spirit World, I think there will be a much more direct, clear, deep, instantaneous mode of communication. I won't have to fumble with my weak words as I try to express myself. I expect lots of crying and hugging, even some laughter and "Oh my gosh!" and "I can't believe it!" (I wonder if He ever tires of the same reaction after trillions of times now.) I want Him to tell me I did well and that He's proud of me. 

I don't know what comes after meeting the Savior. Maybe a tour of the place, starting with the bacon/Scotcheroos/pizza/Ben & Jerry's room, then my new digs, and orientation for my first assignment. Will I be doing something musical? Teaching? Something creative? Administrative? (No. Boring on that last one.) 

And what can I do to show my eternal companion that I am still nearby, happy, and aware of him? What kinds of little signs are allowed? Even though I'll be having an amazing experience, I won't have Michael with me, so it won't be perfection yet. But I'll be saving him a place right by my side. Saving a place for the offspring as well. If it's heaven, then my children will need to be with me, too.

I didn't expect my wonderings to go past meeting Jesus Christ. (And when do I meet God the Father Himself?) But coming back to it now, here's a song about the moment of meeting

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you've found this song. I love to be in God's presence even now in prayer, and to visualize His great throne. I've also seen Jesus in a vision once doing a little celebratory jig in church. I expect to dance in His presence then as even now. I know the Bible teaches us that there will be no more crying or pain in heaven. I don't know if that means there will be no more happy tears and perhaps we won't even have or need tear ducts in our resurrected bodies. I also know that Jesus said if we've seen Him then we've already seen the Father. That might surprise a lot of people! Think on these things and you'll know when it's time to reach for His outstretched hand to step from this time/space-locked eternity into the freedom of His eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment