"Journey Scriptures" From My Boss

I woke up to this thoughtful email from my boss, Dick Jacobsen, this morning. He is a deeply spiritual and caring man (his wife is the same). He shared four scripture passages from the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants to help carry me. I didn't really notice until later that the subject line is "Our Journey." Ours. We're together in this.


Subject: Our Journey

Dear Laurel,

I woke up this morning with you and your journey foremost in my mind. I know this is a difficult time for you and your family, but that you feel sustained by your faith, which sustains us also. I have felt impressed to share with you what I call my “Journey Scriptures.”  I hope they will be a source of comfort to you in the months and years ahead. They have been to me.

First these words from the Lord, as Lehi’s family found themselves slowly making their way through the wilderness on their 8-year journey to the sea:
 
“I will be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that he shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led…and ye shall know that I, the Lord, am God…”
1 Nephi 17:13-14

Then these words of the Lord to the brother of Jared and his people as they faced their very long and difficult journey over the sea:
 
Behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth. And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which which shall come…” 
Ether 2:24-25

“And it came to pass that when they had prepared…they got aboard their vessels…and set forth into the sea, commending themselves unto the Lord, their God. And it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind.

"And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them… and when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters."

"And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land…and thus they were driven forth before the wind. And they did sing praises unto the Lord…and did thank and praise the Lord all the day long...And thus they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them; and they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.”
 
“And thus they were driven forth, three hundred and forty and four days upon the water. And they did land upon the shore of the promised land…and did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them.” 
Ether 6:4-12

Finally, these words of advice and comfort from the Savior to his Apostles as they faced the time when He would no longer be with them:
 
Let not your hearts be troubled…believe in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. I am the way, the truth, and the life…”
 
“If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father and he will give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; even the Spirit of Truth…which is the Holy Ghost. I will not leave you comfortless….Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you…Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”    
John 14:1-3, 6, 15-16, 27

I hope these words will bring you comfort and peace as you and your family move forward on your journey, not knowing exactly what lies ahead, but with a firm belief the Lord will be with you every step of the way. As you know, we are all safe in his hands. We love you and very much appreciate our relationship with you. You have been, and will continue to be, a great blessing in our lives.

One last verse of assurance from Joseph Smith, written to all the members of the church at the time when Joseph and his companions languished through the winter in Liberty Jail:
 
“Dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.”
D&C 123:17

With love and prayers, 💕🤗🙏🏼
Dick

Comments

Post a Comment