Sunday was Alarming and Special

On Saturday Michael and I drove 90 minutes to Napa to meet a couple of friends for lunch (we brought our juices and salads, of course). We sat at a picnic table with them for 2 hours, then drove the two hours back home. That afternoon and evening I began feeling very fatigued. I usually go to bed after 11pm but tonight wanted to get in bed at 9pm without even brushing my teeth. (Don't panic, I brushed.)

The next morning, it was hard work getting ready for church. I felt weak and was a little out of breath. Weird. I sat in a chair to blow dry and curl my hair. What? We enjoy hobnobbing before church starts--so many wonderful people to interact with, but I interacted as little as possible before heading to my seat. I at least wanted to return Randy Hooper's book "How Not to Die," and tell him it turns out I was already doing the things in the book, dang it! During the service I started feeling faint. I told Michael. I tell him everything, he tells me everything. I almost wanted both of us to step out of the chapel to walk around and get some blood flowing, or something. I leaned forward in my seat, he rubbed my back. I sat back and leaned against him. We were both alarmed. I didn't sing the hymns, saving my energy for the next hour. Thankfully, by the end of that first hour, the faintness passed. Had it not, I would have had Michael come with me to sit in on the sisters' meeting during the next hour to be near by.
 
Now it was time for our organization meetings and I was scheduled to lead a discussion about Spiritual Gifts with the sisters. Heading for the room, one of the brothers stopped me to give me nutritional advice. I felt bad I had to stop him. I didn't have the energy to stand there, or the time. I requested he tell it to my husband who would pass it along to me.
 
In the sisters meeting, when the time was turned over the me, I was making plans in my head about what to do if I couldn't stand at the podium the whole time. I would pull a chair in front of it and sit there. Yes, that's what I'll do. I came to the podium and apparently didn't look or sound good because someone brought me a chair just in case. I looked at it and realized it was a good idea. I explained I was going to use a chair as a last resort, then Donna Adams commanded me to use it as a first resort--haha! I complied.
I knew what everyone was thinking so I gave them an update on my health. They knew my diagnosis but not all the details, thoughts, feelings, or my plan, especially those who are not on facebook. After the update I expressed my love and gratitude for the love and concern of these dear sisters of mine. This group is truly a sisterhood. They want to help, but there's not much to do right now but just be there. I did share that I had ordered some organic, sprouted black beans and that I would love it if someone cooked them in their Instant Pot when they arrive. Two sisters nearly came to fisticuffs over cooking the beans--haha, loved that! There will be plenty of beans that will need cooking. (I later asked the non-bean sister to do a little research project for me on broccoli seeds and sprouter bottles which she did a great job of.)
Then it was time to change gears and have a conversation about spiritual gifts. As always, the discussion was wonderful and uplifting. I began feeling energized with the discussion. I'm not a Relief Society teacher, but a couple of months ago, this opportunity came my way, and I see now that the timing was perfect in ways that never would have crossed my mind when I volunteered. It was a wonderful experience for me, and another drop in my testimony bucket that the Lord knows what's going on in each of our lives, now and in the future, and orchestrates things to our advantage. 
 
The next hour was choir practice. My pianoing went fine (Michael was sitting right next to me in a chair) and I was fully energized by the voices and beautiful music, and back to feeling like myself by the time we went home.

Comments

  1. I feel for you! I know how hard it is to keep going in a public role when you can hardly stand. I'm glad you are being honest with your friends and your church community. Those around you will jump at the chance to be able to help you out, even in small things, so be up front about the need for accommodations. After all, they love you for what's in your heart and brain (which is still perfect!), not for your stamina and mobility.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment