Palliative Care Video Chat

 

Today I had a video appointment with a social worker outlining what is available to me from my Palliative Care Team. This is nothing to be alarmed about. Palliative care does not necessarily mean end of life like hospice does.
 
-Hospice is comfort care without curative intent; the patient no longer has curative options or has chosen not to pursue treatment because the side effects outweigh the benefits.
 
-Palliative care is comfort care with or without curative intent. In other words, palliative care is symptom management.
 
We talked about a two forms that everyone should have:
 
1) ADVANCE DIRECTIVE is a comprehensive document that covers a wide range of healthcare decisions. Your doctor should have a copy.
 
2) A POLST form is focused on end-of-life decisions that require immediate medical attention. For instance, it may specify whether you want to receive CPR, antibiotics, or be put on a ventilator. I think people keep this on the side of their fridge for when EMT's come to your house. Of course, your doctor should have a copy.
 
There is something called STATE DISABILITY which supplements income you may be missing out on due to a condition that lasts less than a year, like pregnancy leave, taking time off work for a broken finger, things like that. It protects your job and benefits for up to 12 weeks.
 
SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY is for conditions that may last more than a year. She suggested I call the SSA and ask how much I could receive vs. how much I would get at full retirement. 
 
HOSPICE - I would let them know if I need in-home care. 
 
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES - I can understand this, as illness take a toll on a person.
 
A WORK NOTE is something my doctor could write up for my husband, son or daughter if they needed to miss a day of work here and there to be with me.
 
BREAST CANCER ONLINE SUPPORT GROUP
 
PHYSICIAN and or PHYSICAL THERAPY for symptoms.
 
Interestingly, there is a separate Palliative Care Team if you are in the hospital. I guess each hospital has their own team?
 
I'll be learning more about these in the FAQ sheets she is sending me. It's nice to know these resources are out there should I need them. 
 
Super cute rock courtesy of my super-crafty friend. It actually lives indoors with me, but it went on a field trip to the grass for the photo.
For scale. It's heavy!

Comments