Taking a Hiatus from Playing for the Choir

 

I had a heart to heart on the phone last night with my long-time pal, Marilyn Hansen. I am one of the lucky few who have had the pleasure of sitting at the piano for our ward choir as she directs it. I recently asked her if she could find someone to be at the ready to step in should I not feel well enough to continue. Our young friend in the ward, A.T., a high school senior, graciously agreed. She played last weekend while I was out of town and I heard she did a great job! Well, realizing that I'm not good at being upright for long before my back gets tired and I run low on gas, we agreed it would be best to let AT take over full time, not just playing intermittently. She will get more experience this way and I won't have to stress about a thing. It's a little hard to let go because this is the one responsibility I didn't want to cut from my life. Pianoing brings me joy, especially playing for our ward choir and Marilyn. But this is the right thing right now and it really won't be a big deal--I'm already getting used to the idea. It will also help lower my stress level. Then, when I'm done kicking "C's" hiney down the street and all over town, I'll be ready to be back at the piano for the Christmas holidays.


 This is not a video, just a screenshot of one. During the pandemic our church talks and musical numbers were pre-recorded for our congregation to watch on Zoom. This video (and photo above) were from one of my pre-recorded musical numbers for church.

Here's a current photo of playing during choir practice in the Relief Society room. Taken by wonder-husband who sits right by me during practice. He used to wait in the car during choir practice but now almost never leaves my side. I love it.


Comments